DJ Pierre joined Shaffer Lombardo Shurin in the summer of 2022. DJ is a litigator, helping clients navigate the litigation process in and outside the courtroom, including class-action matters. DJ has experience working in high volume courtroom settings as a public interest attorney, prosecutor, and private practice. DJ has appeared in all levels of the court and administrative adjudication process ranging from federal court to arbitration panels. He has worked diligently throughout his career to put clients in the best position possible to make the most highly informed decisions.
DJ also assists on a variety of government relations matters, particularly navigating the byzantine maze of state and local bureaucracies to achieve results for his clients. He helps clients on issues ranging from regulatory compliance and challenges, code enforcement, development incentives, and legislative or administrative action from government. DJ also helps property owners and businesses in pursuing actions against nuisance properties, at times forcing the sale of those properties. DJ’s experience within the public sector throughout Kansas City enables clients to receive timely guidance and action from state and local institutions.
- Governmental Affairs
- Administrative Law
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Municipal Law
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- Conducted over forty different trials over his career, guiding multiple clients and witnesses through the judicial process from the start to finish of a case.
- Won the rare Jackson County summary judgment on a breach of contract case involving his client’s contractor.
- Sued owner of Northland drug house in a family friendly area and compelled the forced sale of the property to a respectable property owner.
- Successfully negotiated a city ordinance amendment and administrative action on behalf of a client targeted by a predatory industry.
- Prevented the issuance of a conditional use permit for the construction of a RV resort in single-family zoned area of Jackson County.
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., 2010
- Loyola University Chicago, B.A., 2007
- Missouri Lawyers Media, “Up & Coming” Honoree, 2021
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars for 2020
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association Bar Leadership Academy, Graduate, May 2012
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Centurions Leadership Program, Pinnacle Class
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Co-author, “Development Incentives in the Time of COVID-19,” Ingram’s, November 2020
- Presenter, “Government Investigation Webinar: COVID-19– Potential (and/or) current enforcement and investigation actions,” April 2020
- Nonprofit Leadership, The Next Generation (Support KC 2014 Excellence in Nonprofit Leadership Awards)
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Jackson County Bar Association
CIVIC & CHARITABLE
- Mayor’s Citizen Task Force on Violence, Member, 2015 – April 2017
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association (KCMBA) Young Lawyers’ Section, Board of Directors, 2016 – 2019
- Kansas City Environmental Management Commission, Commissioner, 2015 – 2022
- Central City Economic Development Sales Tax, Chair, Board of Directors, 2019 – 2022
- FirstCall, Board of Directors, 2020 – Present
- Newhouse Shelter, Vice President, Board of Directors, 2015 – Present
- Committee for County Progress, Past President Board of Directors, 2014 – Present
- Literacy Kansas City, President, Board of Directors, 2012 – 2021
- Reconciliation Services, Board of Directors, 2011 – 2015